Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Quick and Easy Vegan: Scrambled Red Pepper Tofu and Baked Sweet Potato Fries

I've been on a vegan kick lately. I really am trying to do it this year. Putting the label on myself would make me feel really pressured, so all I'm saying is, I'm trying to eat vegan meals more often than not.

This was a really easy weeknight meal. I apologize for my ultra basic plating and minimal photos, but I wasn't planning to take pictures of this meal at all. Then I remembered, you're a blogger, silly.
This meal is multipurpose: I think it's suitable for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Feel free to change up the seasonings to suit your taste. 

Ingredients:
Scrambled Red Pepper Tofu:
1/2 cube medium firm to firm tofu (avoid silken, the texture will be too mushy)
olive oil
1 red pepper
2 garlic cloves
garlic powder
1 cup green onions 
1 plum tomato
Mrs. Dash's salt free garlic herb seasoning
seasoned salt
(185 calories/serving, 9g carbs, 10g fat, 14g protein, 4g sugar, 106g sodium)

Baked Sweet Potato Fries:
1 sweet potato
olive oil
garlic powder
seasoned salt
Mrs. Dash's salt free garlic herb seasoning
(146 calories/serving, 20g carbs, 7g fat, 2g protein,7g sugar, 128g sodium)
  1. Place potato in microwave to cook. It took about 15 minutes for me. 
  2. Sprinkle olive oil in the bottom of a pan. Add garlic and allow to get a little brown. Then add chopped red peppers, green onions, and tomatoes. Saute.
  3. Remove your potato from the microwave. Cut into thick slices and place on flat baking tray. Brush or drizzle each slice with olive oil. Sprinkle garlic powder, seasoned salt, and herb seasoning. Place in oven for about 20 minutes on 350.
  4. Crumble tofu with fork or hands into sauteed veggie mixture. Stir and add seasonings. I like to turn up the fire a little bit to get it brown. 
  5. Remove potatoes from oven. Plate with tofu. Enjoy!
College Student Tips:
  • This can be about two meals, three if you eat like a bird, but that's not me. No sir! This makes a good lunch-just place in some Tupperware and go!
  • Don't skip the microwave part for the potato. Baking potatoes in the oven from raw takes a loooong time-too much time for me. You could boil it instead, I suppose, if you have hangups about using the microwave and carcinogenic radiation-but I prefer the simplicity of the microwave.
  • You can leave this dish pretty much unattended to do your homework while it cooks. Just keep the fire low on the tofu and don't make your temp higher than 350 on the potatoes. 
Final Note: I'm going to try to step up my cooking blogger game, hence the nutritional information breakdown (taken from my MyFitnessPal recipe calculator) and the college student tips. Let me know what you think, and if you have any other ideas about how I can make this more useful for readers. Thanks. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment