Sunday, August 5, 2012

product review: shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie

photo credit: Amazon.com

everybody and they mama seems to have used this product. i decided to try it out. I am in search of a "one-stop shop" product that will provide both moisture and hold to my out styles. I decided to try this one out. 


cost/availability: $9.99 at Target. it's also at walgreens.


smell: *insert rihanna voice* vanilla cakecakecakecake!! seriously delicious.


how i tested: after cowashing, i used it as the sole leave-in/styler for a braidout. i also used it in conjunction with my wrap foam for a braidout on a different occasion. i also used it as a leave-in underneath ecostyler clear gel for a wash-and-go puff. lastly, as the sole product for a twist n'curl


performance:
as a sole product for a braidout-instant poof! it was a very humid day that day i suppose, because i could feel my hair reverting to a fro AS I WAS UNRAVELING THE BRAIDS. 


with wrap foam for a braidout-a little more hold than without the wrap foam, but the 2 products didn't mix too well. it felt a little filmy.


as a leave-in for a wash and go puff, along with ecostyler-i suppose my hair was left with enough moisture. but the residue! oh lawd the residue! perhaps i'm heavy-handed, but i really felt it didn't absorb into my hair well. 


as the sole product for a twist n'curl-i had moisture and definition....until the humidity hit me. it seems as though this product encourages my hair to just absorb all the moisture in the air.


verdict: this product will provide moisture. lots of it. but the holding properties will vanish at the slightest drop of moisture in the air. you also will need to be careful of using too much, as it doesn't absorb well. due to these properties, it is useful for moisturizing my hair when i am wearing it in an updo or bun style, as it will retain the moisture and i will not have to worry about the humectant (drawing moisture from the air) properties. 5/10


would i recommend? would i re-purchase? YES-if you are looking for moisture alone, NO-if you want a product with moisture AND hold. 
NO, i wouldn't repurchase-i have no use for a product with just moisture and no hold in my regimen. i already have staple moisturizers. 



1 comment:

  1. I used it with ecostyler gel for a wash and go. The hair was nice and soft for days but the product left flakes. However, I may have been heavy hand it.Next time I will use less because I like her my hair feels. It's nice to know that we both got the same results.

    ReplyDelete